Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Art of making Laundry Soap

A couple weeks ago I came across this blog that showed you how to make your own Laundry soap.So I decided I would try it.It was so inviting-576 loads of laundry for roughly $6!!!Seeing as I spend around $20 a month to do 96 loads I was pretty darn excited.My biggest concern was the cleanliness of the clothes and the fading effect.To my surprise after some research it actually helps save your clothes and makes them brighter.

First we will start with the

Ingredients
1 Bar of any kind of Soap ( I used costco brand)
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Arm and Hammer Super washing Soda
A big pot that holds more then 2 gals of water
A grater
A funnel
A long spoon
2 Gallons of of Water
2 Jugs to store Soap




First start by grating the soap into your pot



Add 1 Gallon of water and let cook until soap dissolves

Once soap is dissolved add your Borax and Washing soda


Bring to a Boil.(It will start to thicken.)

Turn off heat and add the second gal of water.

Stir well then funnel into your Jugs.

As it starts to cool you will see it thicken more and more into a gel type consistency.Turning into its final stage around 24 hours.I use around a half of cup per load and it cleans great! I have a HE front loading washer and this soap works great for it because there are no suds.What I have learned is suds dont =clean;)
Also one last tip is make sure and shake your soap before you use it to make sure it is well mixed.
**I have read that you can add essential oils for smell but i haven't tried it yet,with the above recipe it leaves no smell on your clothes**


Photobucket

No comments: