Friday, July 15, 2011

Our New Life

Today was a day filled with stress,answers and prayers.We had an apt with ophthalmology today.All day I couldn't help but think that my little baby boy could be blind.After getting wrong directions and taking a 10 min detour I finally made it right on time to the apt.While I was filling out papers another mom offered to hold Owen for me which was such a nice thing.I got to fill out papers with no screaming baby in my arms.


Sitting there in the room all alone wondering what the outcome was gonna be was so hard.My poor baby had to get eye drops every 15 min,which he hated,for a little over an hour.Finally it was time to see the doctor.I was greeted by a very casual looking man with a thick Irish accent.He right off the bat diagnosed Owen with a 6th and 7th nerve palsy.Informed me that he wasnt blind just a little far-sided.He said Owen could have had a mini stroke or have Moebius Syndrome.Some of the other notes were that his left eye only moves in one direction and that in a couple years he could do surgery to correct his eye.He ordered a MRI with contrast and I was to follow up with him a week after the MRI.


Finally a doctor who knew what they were talking about.As a mom you know when something is wrong with your child and for the last 2 months we have just been brushed to the side like there was nothing wrong.In my opinion it is purely because they just didnt know.After some of my own research I am finding how rare this all is.If it is Moebius Syndrome its something like 1 in a million. There still is a possibility that this is JUST nerve damage and that it will go away on its own.(im praying for that outcome).If not he will later down the road have surgery so he can smile on both sides.


The weeks ahead are going to be a little hectic with all the appointments we have to go to...MRI,Gastroenterology,Neurology,OT,follow up with his Pediatric doctor and Ophthalmology.All this along with the girls starting school in 3.5 weeks.
I am so incredible THANKFUL for finding the childrens group that we have and to have doctors that are so involved in my child's health.


So for now I sit with my little pirate man and still think he is the most perfect baby i could ask for.



Photobucket

No comments: